Saturday, April 5, 2014

unfortunately archaic usage of Ain't, as seen in The Tale of the Cantaloupe

The Tale of the Cantaloupe Continues
after a brief grammatical note

     You may recall the tale I posted last week, which is now the post immediately before this one, actually (though technically I had actually finished and clicked to publish it before my post on factions, but there was an error with the publishing and so I had to re-publish it after I had already published the post on factions). In any case, you may also recall that I promised a little note on the grammatical usage of the contraction ain't which I used in my tale, a grammatical usage which has, in my opinion unfortunately, become rather archaic. The sentence in question ran thusly: "I ain't be on a quest". Did I go a little out of my way to use an archaic construction of ain't? Perhaps. I have a fondness for archaic things. But, while in modern times this sentence sounds like a horrific desecration of the English language, I promise you it is not when you understand the original, now archaic use of the word ain't. As my second grade teacher, who became a close friend of my mom's, explained, ain't is technically a contraction of three words: Aim not to. It is now used in a much different way, but historically, that is what it meant. This was quite a revelation to me to find out, and so sometimes I find myself looking for ways to properly use ain't. Hence, the sentence from the Tale of the Cantaloupe actually runs: I aim not to be on a quest. All right, so I may have not actually written the sentence the way I intended to in a stretch to accommodate the official usage of ain't, because what I really ought to have said was, "I didn't aim to be on a quest" in the past tense. But if I'd've done that, then I wouldn't have gotten to explain this really neat history of the word ain't now, would I? I ain't break the rules of grammar. I aim to follow them. Ain't it dandy? (This represents the modern usage, which has become informal and improper, though it once was a useful contraction.)
        Beyond the violet mist, we are quite fond of exploring archaic grammatical constructs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment