Saturday, April 26, 2014

**PROM!!!!**
**it must has sparkles**

        Today is the Friday before prom, which prom is tomorrow, so, as our creative writing teacher mentioned, everyone is all obsessed with it and the air is filled with an energetic excitement for it (which is shared by most, though others aren't overzealous about prom) and we're probably all going to blog about it. I decided I'd like to jump in and follow this trend. I do indeed like prom. I love dancing; I love getting all fancied up; I love all the gorgeous decorations, both helping with them and admiring them; I love dancing; I love the dress shopping; I love the magicalness of the night. Last year, I really didn't think I was going, actually. As it happened, I probably wouldn't have gone to prom last year if the prom committee hadn't assembled everybody in our grade, I think it was, and asked for more help with the decorating because not enough people were showing up. Slightly guilted by this, I decided I ought to help decorate, if only for the sake of other people who were going to prom. It was a lot of fun helping with the decorating, and I got talked into attending prom about a week before the actual dance. We very quickly bought a dress, got some jewelry at walmart since we didn't have time at the mall, made a nice little floral wreath out of some fabric flowers, wire, and gardener's green tape, also from walmart, and I went and had a grand time. 
         Well, at first I was a little dissatisfied because they started out by playing rap, which I hate rap as much as/ more than country music, and it's harder to dance to rap than even country (I do real dancing, not stand-and-wiggle dancing. I do twirls and leaps and arabesques and paussés and so on. Lyrical is my favorite style. I love how prom just lets me let loose with it, too, because I don't really worry about form or even much grace and I truly dance like nobody's watching at prom.) and so I was actually glad when country music came on at first. However, as the night progressed, I got into it more, as discussed in the former parenthetical note, and I stopped really caring what music was playing and just danced to everything, because even rap has a rhythm I can run with. I was glad, though, when they opened it up to requests and I managed to get two classic rock songs in--"Every Rose has its Thorns" by Poison, which is a perfect song for a flowing lyrical dance, and then I said "anything else classic rock" and the DJ said "is Journey good?" and I said "sure!" and so she played "Lights" (though I was thinking more of "Seperate Ways", which had been stuck in my head for most of prom decorating, and which has amazing guitar that makes dancing really intense, but "Lights" was nice, too, and also good for dancing. Actually, that was the song that was playing when I danced with the second guy I danced with that night. Yeah, I also danced with two guys at prom last year, in addition to my solo lyrical improv-ness.) It was a great night, and I danced loads, and I was utterly exhausted at the end, my feet sore and tingling and aching but I felt wonderful. I was kind of surprised when the dancing was over, and I was like, "Already? Awww..." because I was having great fun frolicking about, but then when the music ended and it got all quiet I realized how exhausted I was and so I just went home and didn't stay for the after-prom. I took off the dancing slippers (shiny purple ballet flats) I had worn specifically for the dancing and I used my foot massager and called that my after-prom and then I flopped flat in bed (I did change out of my dress and such first, of course, but I think I skipped toothbrushing and most other bedtime routine steps) and I was asleep probably by one, and I went to church the next morning. 
        This year I haven't been helping with prom decorating as much, because I guess I just got busy and distracted and forgot about it, and they didn't ask for help as much this year. I only ended up staying to help after school last Wednesday and Friday (it is now Saturday. I know I said I'd finish this last night, but it got late with the hairstyle practicing, and so now I'm writing whilst my hair dries. I've never been fond of hairdryers) but that was fun, too, and I'm glad I did. Our prom decorations are amazing, by the way, all the years I've gone. And also the first year, when I was a sophmore, but I didn't go, I peeked in the gym doors; the theme was "secret garden", which would have been probably my favorite theme, but I didn't go, though what I saw was gorgeous. Alright, so, I need to finish this post and the post in the tab at left now so we can do my hair, nails, and makeup. 'Tis time to become fancified! Ya know what, I think this post is long enough. I can report back on this years prom and why I like prom in general later. Or not. This post shall suffice for time being.
        Beyond the violet mist, your lady the Queen has a ball to attend in all her finery.

No comments:

Post a Comment