Saturday, April 5, 2014

resolutions

Planning & Resolutions--
a little bit of goal setting & prioritizing

        Being as it is once again eleven o'clock on a Saturday night and I am doing the bulk of my blogging now, you may infer that I have developed a habit with my blogging. Of course, tonight it is slightly later than normal, as family events (cousins visiting) have kept me (pleasantly) occupied until 10:50 at night, so I shall have to particularly rush to finish my blogging (I usually have a little started of a week, though I don't typically publish until Saturday, as is the case) tonight.  In general, though, this style of blogging has served me fairly well thus far, leaving me more time to work on my pieces, and admittedly to chat some with my fellow creative writers, during the week, and allowing me to enjoy some intense blogging of a Saturday evening. However, now I feel the need to establish a shift in things. 
       You see, for some time, it has been a personal goal of mine to get published before I graduate, and quite (extremely so, it seems, even overwhelmingly so) suddenly I find myself in crunch time. I am not certain if I will achieve it, but I want to try and free up more time to work on my short story. (Long ago, I think I may have imagined it to be a novel I would be publishing, but practicality has determined that a short story is pretty much my only shot.) Like I said, I am not certain I can achieve the somewhat miraculous feat of not only finishing and polishing this story I am writing but also of getting it published, but I'm not certain I can't, either, and I want to go at it whole hog. It reminds me of that quote by Catherynne Valente in one of the NaNoWriMo pep talks, where she talks about writing her first novel and says, "I didn’t know I couldn’t do it. So I did." Hopefully that philosophy will work for me. So, that's my plan this month, and for the remainder of my year.
        Which brings me back to my plans for my creative writing class blogging here. In an effort to free up time Saturdays (and maybe even other days) to work on my personal piece for publishing, Avgir Lys for short, (I posted an excerpt of the opening on this blog some time ago), I am hoping to start doing my posts during the week. My goal is to do something like a post on Tuesday, a post on Thursday, and a post Friday evening or something. I don't know. I just need to clear out some time so I can write my story and get published. Wish me luck!
        The queen of the land beyond the violet mist so desperately longs to become published, and she hopes that this feat is attainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment