Saturday, April 12, 2014

Norwegian greetings

Ha det på badet din gamle sjokolade!
<Ser deg i kveld, din gamle karamel!>
Norwegian Greetings

        You may be wondering what in the world my title could possibly mean right now. (Unless it's gotten to the point where it's like that scene when Dumbledore tells Harry, 
"you may be wondering why I brought you here," and Harry replies, "Actually, sir, after all these years, I just go with it." If this is indeed the case, then I thank you very much for your high estimation of my epicness. If not, consider that a goal I'm setting for my blog.) If you are clever and observant, you may have noticed that my second subtitle is "Norwegian Greetings" (as is my post-navigation title) and from this you may possibly have deduced that the two sentences prior to this subtitle are in Norwegian. If you are like me, by the time you are reading this, you have quite probably already gone to google translate to endeavor to figure out what they mean. Of course, if you were exactly like me you would have already learned these phrases at Norwegian camp and so you would recognize them, but I mean if you're sort of like me, without being my long-lost-twin/epic-stalker-ninja. So, now, hang on, I need to go to google translate to see what it says and to see how accurate its translation of these sentences is so I can correct you or forewarn you about mistranslations and such. I'm not telling you that you should go to google translate or anything if you're not like me and haven't already gone, because, of course, I fully intend to explain these sentences later in the post, but I just want to correct the knowledge of the insatiably curious so they can better understand the explanations later. Okay, so google translate's pretty close, but the first half of the first phrase is wrong, and they're confusing enough as they are, so hang in there for the explanationing. 
        If you do indeed know me in person, it is quite possible you have actually heard me saying one or both of these phrases at one point or another, as I am generally fond of tossing them into conversation whenever it is remotely possible. They're just fun and awesome-sounding and so very Norwegian, and when you actually learn them, their meanings are very cool. They're pretty much my favorite Norwegian sentences that I know so far. 
        What really inspired me to do this particular post, though, is that the other day I was revisiting the website of my awesome and amazing Norwegian camp, and I was just looking at their videos, and I saw this wonderful explanation of my favorite set of phrases, and I was like, I should do a blog post on this! And so here It is. By the way, here is the website of the Norwegian Camp I attend: http://www.norwegianridge.org/. And here is their lovely, very Norwegian logo, designed by an actual Norwegian who moved here to study graphic design and who taught at the camp:
They should, like, give me a discount for this free advertising or something ;) hehehe. Na, it's just an awesome camp filled with awesome Norwegian-ness and epic crafts and language learning and adventure and craziness and amazing wonder and you should come, especially if you know me, because my friends never seem to come back from one year to another (though I've only gone two years so far). 
        And so, here is the official video of the phrases from the camp. It's done by a girl who is actually younger than me, which made it sort of funny that she was our teacher some of the time, but she knew a lot of Norwegian because her mom was from Norway (the one who came for graphic design. Then she met an American man and got married and had two kids. She is now a "legal alien", she told us. At Norwegian camp, you can also learn the life story of actual Norwegians!!). ~Suddenly it's That Time of Night on Saturday and blogging style changes accordingly~ So this video is the main part of the post anyways, and she explains the phrase really well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9THCGjybwd8


        The one thing is that she translates it in this video as "good-bye in the bathroom", but I often translate it as "see you in the bathroom" when I am telling friends, because I seemed to recall that "Ha det", which literally means "have it" but which is used as the Norwegian good-bye phrase, can also be interpreted as "see you", and so that phrasing seems to make marginally more sense to me. Also, since she says the phrase a little quick in the video, I thought it'd be nice if I wrote out my pronunciations of the phrases for you here. Basically: Ha-deh pa ba-deh doo gahm-leey shya-koe-lah-deh, sair-die ee kveld doo gahm-lee care-a-mell. That's not, like, the official way pronunciation writing is done, like in a dictionary, I know, but I think it should help anyways. So, now you can go impress your friends by greeting them in Norwegian! Or I guess it's not a greeting so much as a parting, but still. Ha det, tout le monde!
        We beyond the violet mist think that chocolate and caramel are nicer things to call each other than alligators and crocodiles, anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment