Saturday, March 8, 2014

griping

Griping:
meddling with time is a foolish thing

        I actually don't feel like griping right now, immediately after my joyous Once anticipation post, but I've been planning to do this post for most of this week, and so I figure I ought to do it. Plus, I'm running short on time. I'll outline the gist of this rant here and now: I hate and despise the illogical and flat-out foolhardy concept that is daylight savings time. I'll hate it more tomorrow morning than I do presently, but I always hate it. It's just... why? What cruel, sick person decided that we needed to suddenly get up an hour earlier at certain times of the year? It's simply ridiculous. I know, I know, everybody says Ben Franklin so cleverly conceptualized it to save on street lamp oil and whatall. But for one thing, may I point out that we don't have street lamps that burn oil anymore? And even if it weren't outdated, it's not like Ben Franklin never had lapses in logic. I mean, that whole, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me" thing sounded brave at the time, but really, wise people know never to underestimate the power of words. As a writer, I know that words are among the most powerful things in all existence. And with the street lamp oil thing, I mean, I know we still use electricity and ought to conserve that, and so that's the modern interpretation of the concept, but I think most people nowadays get up before the sun rises anymore to go to work and school and whatall, and so we need light in the mornings more than we need it in the evenings. The week before daylight's savings time starts is always so lovely, because it is so sunny when I'm waking up for school and there's just more light than there normally is, and it's almost as if I can imagine that school starts at a reasonable time. Not that it does or ever has. But that's a rant for another time. There is just no logical reason for daylight's savings times. It is a cruel, evil, manipulative plot to rob people of their precious sleep and precious morning light and precious time.
        In a philosophical gesture of protest, I have not changed the clocks in my bedroom in accordance with daylight's savings time in years. Therefore, for the majority of the year, my bedroom clocks are among the only clocks in America that are actually correct. I am simply forced to get up an hour earlier for everything and it's mean and illogical and I need to post this so I can get one less hour of sleep than normal before church tomorrow almost-morning. (The next day) And so I got up an hour earlier, and really, it wasn't that bad, but the awful thing was that I still had to get ready so quickly. I feel like I could be alright getting up an hour earlier for everything if only the world would acknowledge that I am getting up an hour earlier for everything. I feel like if I'm getting up an hour earlier, it should mean that I have an hour longer to get ready, and that I shouldn't have to rush as much. Why don't we just acknowledge that we're all getting up an hour earlier? It is simply unfair for the world to pilfer away an hour of my life without my consent. Even if they do give it back later, there's simply no good reason to take it away in the first place.
        Beyond the violet mist, we realize that it is a dangerous and foolish thing to meddle with the workings of time, and are aware of the cruel conspiracy of the sleep-theives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment