Saturday, May 10, 2014

school-related madness

End-of-the School Year Madness
~because at first I just titled this post "Madness", but then it occurred to me that on this blog that's not nearly specific enough~

        A while back, the Creative Writing I class's prompt was to list all the things they had to do before the end of the school year. I didn't feel like doing it then, but now, with the insane weight of everything I must do before The End and the surrealy minimal amount of time remaining in which I must do it, it's about all I can think about. Thus, I elected to hash some of it out here on the internet. 
        The thing foremost on my mind at present is the astounding amount of art I have left to do. I don't know how it gets this way, and this semester it seems particularly bad. I love art, and Drawing II (the art class I am in now) is a really fun class, but I could easily occupy myself for another month with all the pieces I need to finish presently. I am almost finished with my self portrait and a drawing of a faerie I started Friday (the Faerie I started Friday, the selfie I've been drawing for... maybe a couple weeks now, I'm actually not sure), and I have to finish the e, u, and r in "fleur" for my letter drawing, which I've been working on off and on for, wow, it must be months now, but at least those are relatively small, and I also started a drawing from my story about Avgir Lys on Friday. Is that even everything? Yeah, that is. But it's a lot. I don't know how it gets like this, I honestly don't. I work on my drawings every day in class, it's just that I'm an incredibly slow draw-er. 
        It makes me think of this episode of the Amazing Race (which is, by the way, an Amazing show) my Mom and I watched today where they had to do illumination on a book page. I've always been intrigued by the ancient monks who devoted their lives to illumination, and sometimes I find myself envying them a little. I forget whether I read it somewhere or watched a documentary or what, but I remember seeing something about them that talked about how those ancient monks did such detailed, perfect illuminations because they pretty much had nothing else to do. But that was a good thing, because they had all the time in the world to devote themselves to their singular passion, and that's what I kind of envy. They could just get up in the morning and do what they did, and they didn't have to rush or hurry because they had no deadlines and no other things to rush off and do and all they had to do was just one page after another. They could be utterly meticulous and perfectionist and OCD, and they had so much time they could make it pretty much perfect. That would fit my work style almost perfectly. I say "almost" because I do like to have a bunch of things going at once and switch back and forth between them, and I do like to have some sort of endpoint--progress of work-wise, not time-wise--to work towards, and I do like to start new things. But I like having all the time in the world. Which I don't now. Isn't it ironic that I've just run out of time to write a blog post about all the things I'm running out of time to do? Suffice to say, I've been praying a lot. God has helped me finish more of my schoolwork than I can say. Honestly, I am such a horrible procrastinator, without God, I may well be an F student. Sometimes, I just don't know. I can't handle it all on my own. I'm so glad I have a God who cares enough to help me with things that, in the grand scheme, would seem incredibly insignificant, like homework. 
        Beyond the violet mist, we may be in over our heads, but God isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment