Saturday, May 3, 2014

Kentucky Derby

The Kentucky Derby
Run, Horses, Run!

        You may or may not be aware, but today is the day of this year's kentucky derby. Being as my mom is what you'd call a "horse girl", or one of those girls who grew up utterly obsessed with horses, it's a day of note in our house. Despite the fact that I am, in fact, allergic to horses (it starts with a rash, then sneezing turns into coughing and then my asthma takes it from there, even just being around horses) I also enjoy it. I love the flamboyant hats, and wearing a hat of my own (though typically not as fancy as the actual ones at the race), and picking horses we think will win (but not putting money on it. Because that would be illegal.) Sometimes we're good at it, sometimes we're not. Usually, it's primarily based on the coolness of their names. This year, I picked Wildcat Red, Dance with Fate, and Vicar's in Trouble, the first two because of their names--I will pull for anything with any form of cat in its name whatsoever, and I like dancing and adding fate to it sounds cool and a little edgy--and the third because of its jockey, Rosie Napravnik, who I root for simply because she is female and out of a sense of feminism, in that ever-present desire for people of my gender to accomplish things we have not yet done, like a Kentucky Derby win. My mom, after me, chose Candy Boy, Uncle Sigh, and Intense Holiday, the first because she likes its jockey, Gary Stevens, from a show on Jockeys she watches (Mom watches pretty much anything and everything horse-related), the second because of its name and reference to Duck Dynasty, another show she watches, and the third I think because of its statistics or its story or something. She had originally had Danza, for the name, or the way its face looked, I think, or something like that, but she scratched him in favor of Intense Holiday.
        I had a lot more commentary planned, but once more, time runs short.

Here is my hat this year, which is just my favorite white fedora-hat with my floral wreath from my first prom conveniently slipped over it. I was thrilled with how well it worked as a derby-hat. I felt my purple gloves looked horse-riding-ish and so wore them as accessories as well.






Admire my derby fashionableness.

Some derby-day selfies :)

 I feel so... derby-y! Even though for the past two years at least one of my picks for top horse has finished dead last. That's a feat in its own.






 I really do like taking selfies, especially when I feel so very stylish :) hehehe

Then I had this whole digression about my beloved childhood stickhorse planned. I even had a video of the music its ears play, but that failed to load, what with my Chicago pic post competing and all. Some other time, perhaps.






She is beautiful, and so filled with memories. 

I used to style her hair...

She looks lovely wearing my derby hat :)

and she has... violet eyes ;)








Beyond the violet mist, it's okay to like something you're allergic to.

No comments:

Post a Comment