Friday, January 24, 2014

Continued Procrastination with a Spot of Theatre

Continued Procrastination with a Spot of Theatre

If you have been following my posts, or if you are also in my creative writing class, then you know that we are to write three blog posts a week. Last week was the first week we did this. (Gosh, it feels like it’s been longer, doesn’t it? And yet it feels like it was just Christmas...) I was planning to do them spread out through the week in a way that makes sense, like maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday or something, but as things I try to do without concrete deadlines tend to end up, I did my first blog post last Friday and the second two on Saturday that week. I thought to myself, well, this is still just the first week, and I’m still just figuring things out. Next week I’ll plan better and I’ll do better.
At this point you may be observing that today is Friday, and further that it is late on Friday evening, and that this is my first blog post this week. Which means that I did not do any better this week. If you are very clever you may even have observed that I actually did worse this week, because last week, I did my first blog post in class on Friday, and this is later than that. Yes, yes, I know, this is not good. Hopefully I can do better next week (famous last words).
I certainly have plenty of ideas for my blog posts, it’s just the matter of finding time to do them, and of prioritizing. Often when I prioritize, I base things off of their deadlines. The sooner the deadline, the sooner I do it. I find I count the deadline for these three blog posts as Saturday at midnight, and so anything with a due date before that is prioritized above them by something automatic in my mind. The advantage that these blog posts have is that they are enjoyable, but that almost becomes a disadvantage in that it makes them seem like something I should do later so I can spend more time enjoying them. While this is obviously illogical and I am fully aware of it, it is subconscious and difficult to control. I just need to do them, but while this may sound simple, ‘tisn’t.
I really should have done this blog post earlier, also because tomorrow our Reader’s Theatre group performs. That means that not only do I need to wrap this thing up and go to sleep so I can be well-rested to play my part as the Evil Queen, a malevolent self-obsessed fruit cake who is desperate to get everyone to find her beautiful and so runs around smashing people who her mirror tells her are prettier than her on the head with apples. Really, she is a little bit sad: all she wants is someone to tell her she’s pretty. I find it interesting that she’s not a murderer. I don’t think she’d admit it, but we can see that she doesn’t actually want to kill anyone. Her poison apple is hardly poison at all but rather knocks the eater out, and she can’t get Sonoma to eat it anyways (did I mention this isn’t the traditional Snow White and the Seven Dwarves but is rather a fractured fairy tale version, Sonoma White and the Seven Dolts? That’s important) so she bashes Sonoma’s head with the apple and leaves her unconscious, hoping that Sonoma will “freeze to death or be eaten by a bear”.
I would like to go on, and on, and on about many things, but in the words of my character, “Well, magic mirror, it’s time for my beauty sleep”. (To which my rather impudent mirror replies “If it’s beauty sleep you’re after, I suggest you take an extra long nap”, causing me to threaten my mirror that I may melt him down and turn him into a soda bottle. We have a very good Queen-mirror relationship) Beyond the violet mist, we love our literature and appreciate a good piece of the theatre, and now I, the good and noble Queen of this Lande, shall participate in this tradition by portraying a far from good and noble Queen who just wants to be told she’s pretty. Wish us luck; I hope we make it to state! Bonne Nuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment