Sunday, October 18, 2015

naming

Naming

          It's nearly NaNoWriMo again, as the notification e-mails keep reminding me, and so I've been formulating my plan for this November. I've decided to return to and revamp my old "Indian Rock" series, this time as "Painted Rock", and instead of being 1/4 Mexican, I've decided that my main character, who I named "Abigail Riitiré" back in the Olden Days of Elementary School, will be part (or all?) Native American instead, in keeping with the "Painted Rock" concept of things. Thus, I have been seeking a good Native American name for her. It's surprisingly hard to find good Native American names on the internet. I mean, there are some, but there's not a super-great variety. And, anyways, in the course of my research, I came here: http://www.native-languages.org/baby. Interestingly, one of the names I had been considering for good old Abi, Aiyana, was disclaimed as being inauthentic in the very first paragraph. So, I went on to see what else the site had to say, and found the name-request form at the bottom of the very same page linked above. I went ahead and filled it out for my character in hopes of getting some authentic name options for her. In exchange, it's requested that I share their site, so I went ahead and made this quick little blog post to do so. So, the main site is here: http://www.native-languages.org/ and I also used this page: http://www.native-languages.org/states.htm to get an idea of what tribes "Abi" might be from. It seems to be quite a nifty little site with a lot of good information. I mean, I just found it from google, so I can't completely vouch for its authenticity, but it seemed informative. Also, while I'm sharing cool things from my research, I thought this article: http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/06/24/323665644/the-map-of-native-american-tribes-youve-never-seen-before, featuring this map: http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2014/06/Tribal_Nations_Map_NA.pdf was very cool. And, since I'm in a sharing mood, I'm also currently listening to a hauntingly beautiful song by the Foo Fighters called "Home" I'd never heard of before through the magic of wandering around youtube until you find an artist's more obscure songs. I'm listening to it on the full album playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlnOy0ccfVc but you can also listen to just this song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCEbz9f2UA. Oops, and now I've moved on to re-listening to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEYgTz2WvzY, which is also very good. Huzzah for obscure Foo Fighters songs! Okay, that should be enough sharing for now :)
          In other news, I have written several blog posts over the summer without publishing any of them (except for the most recent two, which were for scholarships). To be precise, there are no less than six unpublished blog drafts in my box right now. Some I will probably never publish, but I would really like to finish at least the one I wrote about how I WON CAMP NANOWRIMO this July!! So, that will be coming to you in due time. Sorry, I know, I'm probably the slowest blogger ever. I did in fact create that fanfiction profile I've been meaning to make, as well, though I have yet to publish the Rumbelle fanfic I meant to and it's already become outdated by the show (which is increasingly epic this season! Huzzah improvement in Ouat! Although some of their plotting still needs work. Anyways, that's a rant for another blog post). Oh, well, I'd still like to publish it. As soon as I get around to publishing it, I'll probably let you know, my blog readership, but until then I'm not going to link my blog to it. I guess I'll mainly be working out my Painted Rock story world for a while. And also doing homework. I should get to that now. So, yeah, this post is mostly just a quick update and a shoutout to www.native-languages.org. Check them out if you're researching Native American languages and things, or if you're just curious. It's always fun to learn about random things, I find.
          Thus, the new, mysterious, and fantastical world of Painted Rock begins to unfurl within the folds of the mysterious Violet Mist...

No comments:

Post a Comment